Copyright Infringement Cease Desist Letter1

First contact letter for sites using linkware images without proper credit.

I have been asked many times by other artists what they should do when they find someone infringing on their work. Although it is sometimes very hard, I suggest that one try to remain calm. Many times people infringe because they are not familiar with copyrights or just not aware that the same copyrights that govern the real world also pertain to the web. They may also have gotten your work from someplace other than your site and not aware that it is copyrighted. 

The first thing one should do when they find a site infringing on their work is to make a copy of all the infringing pages which may be used as proof of infringement at a latter date. The next thing is to write to the webmaster being sure that your correspondence contains all the relevant information as to who you are, the status of your artistic work and what the site may be infringing on and what you are requesting be done by the infringer.  

Below is a draft of a first contact letter that can be sent to an infringing webmaster that is using your linkware iamges without proper credit.

Dear _________________ It has come to my attention that you are using some of my artistic work on your website at:
 
______________Name and url of the infringing website. 
The work I am referring to, is listed below along with the location of where it may be found on your website:
List _________with name of image/images and the individual page URLS 
 
I realize that you may not have originally gotten my work from my site, or for whatever reason may not be aware of my terms of use. My artistic work is copyrighted, and my terms for using it require that I be given credit as the original creator on each and every page where my images are used. By credit I mean that you must be display my logo and provide a functional link back to the main page of my ________________(Name of website and URL)
 
If you choose not to comply with my terms  by giving proper credit, then I request that you please remove all my work from your website. I also request that you send me notification when this has been done.
 
If you would like to continue using my work, I ask that you please comply with my request for proper credit, and have included one of my logos as an attachment to this letter for this purpose. If this logo is not suitable for your needs, you may find other alternatives on the following page: _____________________________URL of your logo page.
 
If you have any questions regarding any of my terms for using my work, you may find additional information listed on the following page: _______________________URL to your terms of use page.
 
Should you require help with displaying my logo, creating a link back to my site, or have any questions regarding this matter please do not hesitate to ask in your reply. 
 
If you downloaded my images from somewhere else and have not yet visited my site, then I also invite you to do so. Thank you for patience and taking the time to read this. I look forward to your reply.
 
Sincerely Yours,
Your Name
Name and URL of your site or websites

If you do not receive a proper response and the infringing webmaster refuse to comply, you may need to take other measures to have your work remove from their website.  

List of sites that may help you with this:




Back to:








If you would found my copyright information informative, 
please help promote awareness by downloading my copyright logo and posting it to your website or blog with a link back to my copyright main menu page.
 



This page is courtesy of CS Designs and Cherished Memories and was first uploaded to the web in 1999. After several server changes I have uploaded it here for easy update. 
© Copyright All Rights Reserved 1999